|Materials and Techniques||oil on canvas|
|Size（cm）||77.5 x 59.5|
The painter Marie-Gabrielle Capet was active in Paris around the time of the French Revolution. This self-portrait, executed when she was twenty-two, vividly captures the fresh visage of a confident young artist. The stylish blue satin dress and matching blue ribbon in her hair convey the gaiety of the Rococo. One of the first female painters to participate in the Salon, Capet established a stellar reputation especially as a portraitist. (Source: Gallery label, July 2016)
Collection Saint-Alary, Paris; Collection particuliére, New York; Purchased by the NMWA, 2002.
- Créer au feminine: Femmes artistes du siècle de Madame Vigée Le Brun, Mitsubishi Ichigokan Museum, Tokyo, 1 March 2011 - 8 May 2011, cat. no. 54, col. repr.
- The Rings from The Hashimoto Collection of The National Museum of Western Art, The National Museum of Western Art, 8 July 2014 - 15 September 2014, cat. no. 268
- [Traveling Exhibitions Presenting National Art Museum Collections, Fiscal 2017] Muse: Women before the Artists' Eyes: From the Collection of the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, Fukushima Prefectural Museum of Art, 22 April 2017 - 2 July 2017, Akita Museum of Modern Art, 15 July-18 September, cat. no. 2
- Through the Eyes of René Huyghe: The Splendor of French Paintings: Formation and Transformation of the “Grande Manière”, Tokyo Fuji Art Museum, 5 October 2019 - 19 January 2020, 4 Feburuary-29 March 2020, Kyushu National Museum; 26 May-16 August 2020, Osaka Municipal Museum of Art, cat. no. 55
- Doria, Arnaud, Le Comte. Gabrielle Capet. Paris, 1934., p. 10.
- Annual bulletin of the National Museum of Western Art. No. 36 (Apr. 2001-Mar. 2002), 2003, Takahashi, Akiya. New Acquisition. pp. 13-15, List of New Acquisitions. p. 37, repr.
- Masterpieces of The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art; Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2006 (Japanese, preface in Japanese and English), no. 56, col. repr.
- Masterpieces of The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art; Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2009, no. 56, col. repr.
- Masterpieces: The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2013 (Japanese, preface in Japanese and English), no. 70, col. repr.