Updated 18 October 2023
Currently not on display
Photo by (c) Norihiro Ueno
Currently not on display
|Materials and Techniques||Bronze|
|Size（cm）||155 x 72 x 65|
|Inscriptions||Signed left top of base: A. Rodin; foundry mark back of base: ALEXIS. RUDIER. / Fondeur. PARIS. Cast number left side of base: M-R-no-1|
|Credit Line||Matsukata Collection|
Bought from Musée Rodin by Kojiro Matsukata, Kobe through Léonce Bénédite, ca. July 1921, as ‘La méditation’ (Fr. 25,000) [see several letters between Bénédite and Suzuki & Co., July 1921, in Archives of Musée Rodin, Paris; copy in NMWA curatorial files]; sequestered by French government, 1944; vested in French government under San Francisco Peace Treaty, 1952; transferred from French to Japanese government, 23 January 1959; entered into NMWA, April 1959.
- The Masterpieces of the Ex-Matsukata Collection, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 14 May 1960 - 10 July 1960, S-33
- [Tour Exhibition] The Matsukata Collection of the National Museum of Western Art, The Hakutsuru Museum, Kobe, 20 October 1962 - 5 November 1962, S-033
- [Tour Exhibition] The Matsukata Collection of the National Museum of Western Art, The Art Gallery of Aichi Prefecture, Nagoya, 17 November 1962 - 9 December 1962, cat. no. 67 (当館記録による）
- Rodin, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 23 July 1966 - 11 September 1966, cat. no. 26
- [Tour Exhibition] Rodin, The Kurayoshi Museum, 13 May 1988 - 12 June 1988, cat. no. 20
- Rodin et la Porte de l’Enfer (Rodin and the Gates of Hell), National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 21 October 1989 - 17 December 1989, cat. no. 37
- Kokuritsu Seiyo Bijyutsukan shozo sakuhin ni yoru yoroppa bijyutsu eno shotai, Karatsu City Library, 12 November 1994 - 11 December 1994, cat. no. 9, col. repr.
- Rodin: Selected Works from National Museum of Western Art, Yorozu Tetsugoro Memorial Museum, Towacho, 10 October 1996 - 17 November 1996, cat. no. 7
- August Rodin / Eugène Carrière, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 7 March 2006 - 4 June 2006, cat. no. 77
- Traces of Hands: Sculpture and Drawings by Rodin and Bourdelle from the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 3 November 2012 - 27 January 2013, cat. no. 51
- The Matsukata Collection: A One-Hundred-Year Odyssey: Upon the 60th Anniversary of the NMWA, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 11 June 2019 - 23 September 2019, cat. no. 83, col. repr.
- Rodin (exh. cat.). National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 23 July - 11 September 1966; Kyoto Municipal Museum of Art, 18 September - 30 October 1966; Cultural Center of Fukuoka Prefecture, 9 November - 11 December 1966, [Tokyo], Yomiuri-Simbun, 1966, no. 26.
- Jianou, lonel; Goldscheider, C. Rodin. Paris, Arted Editions d'Art, 1969, p. 91.
- Tancock, John L. The Sculpture of Auguste Rodin. Philadelphia Museum of Art, 1976, pp. 193-199.
- Rodin (exh. cat.). Martigny, Fondation Pierre Gianadda, 1984, no. 24.
- Rodin: Selected Works from The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. The National Museum of Western Art ed. Kurayoshi Museum, 1988, no. 20.
- Rodin et la Porte de l'Enfer (exh. cat.). The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 1989, no. 37.
- The Old Matsukata Collection. Kobe City Museum, ed. Kobe, "Matsukata Korekushon Ten" Jikkoiinkai, 1990, cat. no. S-47.
- Levkoff, Mary L. "The monuments to The Burghers of Calais, Victor Hugo, and Honoré de Balzac". Rodin A Magnificent Obsession. Ross, Iain; Snow, Anthea eds. London, Merrell, 2001, p. 71.
- Rodin en 1900: l'exposition de l'alma (exh. cat.). Musée du Luxembourg, 12 March - 15 July 2001, Paris, Réunion des musées nationaux, 2001, p. 182.
- Elsen, Albert. Rodin's Art: The Rodin Collection of the Iris & B. Gerald Cantor Center for Visual Arts at Stanford University. Barryte, Bernard ed. New York, Oxford University Press, 2003, no. 62.
- The Matsukata Collection: Complete Catalogue of the European Art. Kawaguchi, Masako; Jingaoka, Megumi, eds. vol. 2: Sculpture, Drawings, Prints and Decorative Arts and Other Works, Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 2019, cat. no. 1281, col. repr.