Updated 23 August 2022
The Mystic Marriage of St. Catherine
|Materials and Techniques||oil on canvas|
|Size（cm）||84 x 100|
|Standard ref.||Pignatti/Pedrocco 13|
This painting is an early work by Paolo Veronese undertaken in his birthplace of Verona, Italy. The subject is the "mystical marriage" between Christ and St. Catherine of Alexandria. The seated figure is the Virgin Mary holding the Infant Jesus in her arms. St. Catherine is shown kneeling at the right. In the upper left-hand corner of the painting, you will not ice an emblem, which combines the crests of two powerful aristocratic families. It suggests this work was undertaken to commemorate a marriage that joined the two families in 1547. (Source: Gallery label, July 2016)
Private Collection, Switzerland; Purchased by the NMWA, 1995.
- Florence and Venice: Italian Renaissance Paintings and Sculpture from the State Hermitage Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 20 March 1999 - 20 June 1999, cat. no. 53
- [Traveling Exhibitions Presenting National Art Museum Collections, Fiscal 2017] Muse: Women before the Artists' Eyes: From the Collection of the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, Fukushima Prefectural Museum of Art, 22 April 2017 - 2 July 2017, Akita Museum of Modern Art, 15 July-18 September, cat. no. 10
- Rearick, W. R. The Art of Paolo Veronese (exh. cat.), Washington D. C., 1988, p. 34, (mentioned under no. 6, as Giambattista Zelotti).
- Pignatti, T.; Pedrocco, F. Veronese: Catalogo completo dei dipinti. Firenze, 1991, p. 33, no. 13.
- Pignatti, T.; Pedrocco, F. Veronese. Milano, 1995, no. 12.
- Gisolfi, D. A New Early Veronese in Tokyo. The Burlington Magazine. vol. 137, no. 1112, Nov. 1995, pp. 742-746.
- Annual bulletin of the National Museum of Western Art. Nos. 29-30 (April 1994-March 1996), 1997, . New Acquisitions. pp. 9-11, List of New Acquisitions. p. 37, col.repr.
- Masterpieces of The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art; Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2006 (Japanese, preface in Japanese and English), no. 19, col. repr.
- Masterpieces of The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art; Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2009, no. 19, col. repr.
- Zamperini, Alessandra. Paolo Veronese. Verona, Arsenale Editrice, 2013, pp. 22-23.
- Masterpieces: The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2013 (Japanese, preface in Japanese and English), no. 19, col. repr.