Updated 14 November 2023
Currently not on display
Currently not on display
|Materials and Techniques||oil on canvas|
|Size（cm）||65.3 x 100|
|Inscriptions||Signed and dated lower left: Claude Monet 87|
|Credit Line||Matsukata Collection|
|Standard ref.||Wildenstein 1140; M778|
Purchased possibly from the artist by Kojiro Matsukata, Kobe, ca. December 1921 [see letter from Léonce Bénédite to (Claude Monet), dated 11 December 1921, in the Bibliothèque centrale des musées nationaux, Paris (copy in NMWA curatorial file)]; sequestered by French government, 1944; vested in French government under San Francisco Peace Treaty, 1952; transferred from French to Japanese government, 23 January 1959; entered into NMWA, April 1959.
- Exposition Claude Monet, organisée au bénéfice des Victimes de la Catastrophe du Japon, Galeries Georges Petit, Paris, 4 January 1924 - 18 January 1924, cat. no. 12
- The Masterpieces of the Ex-Matsukata Collection, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 14 May 1960 - 10 July 1960, cat. no. 72
- The Window of the Mind: Evolution of Modern Painting, The Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu, 15 January 1997 - 16 February 1994, Karatsu City Library and Kawamura Art Museum, 22 February-23 March, cat. no. 73, col. repr.
- The Locus of Art: Aesthetics of Seiro Mayekawa from Dürer to Tsune Nakamura, Niigata Prefectural Museum of Modern Art, 3 September 2011 - 10 October 2011, cat. no. 6, col. repr.
- Monet, An Eye for Landscapes: Innovation in 19th Century French Landscape Paintings, Pola Museum of Art, 13 July 2013 - 24 November 2013, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 7 December 2013-9 March 2014, cat. no. 73, col. repr.
- The Matsukata Collection: A One-Hundred-Year Odyssey: Upon the 60th Anniversary of the NMWA, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 11 June 2019 - 23 September 2019, cat. no. 108, col. repr.
- Monet: Places/ Claude Monet: The Truth of Nature, Denver Art Museum, 21 October 2019 - 2 February 2020, Museum Barberini, 22 February-19 July 2020, cat. no. 124
- Mizue: a monthly review of the fine arts. no. 656, December 1959, p. 21. repr, detail.
- Catalogue du Musée National d'Art Occidental, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, 1961 (Préface and Catalogue Général in Japanese and French), P-211.
- Annual bulletin of the National Museum of Western Art. No. 2, 1968, p. 11, no. 15, repr.
- Bortolatto, L. R. L'opera completa di Claude Monet, 1870-1889. Milano, 1972, p. 108, no. 310, repr.
- Wildenstein, D. Claude Monet, biographie et catalogue raisonné. tome 3, Lausanne/ Paris, 1979, pp. 94, 95, repr.; tome 5, 1991, pp. 45, 215 (lettre no. 3061).
- The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo: Catalogue of Paintings. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, 1979, no. 193, repr.
- The Old Matsukata Collection. Kobe City Museum, ed. Kobe, "Matsukata Korekushon Ten" Jikkoiinkai, 1990, cat. no. 1069.
- Wildenstein, Daniel. Monet: Catalogue raisonné. vol. 3, Cologne, Taschen, 1996, pp. 431-432, cat. no. 1140, repr. color.
- Evolution of Modern Painting: The Window of the Mind (exh. cat.). National Museum of Modern Art, Tokyo, ed. [Gifu], Museum of Fine Arts, Gifu, 1997, p. 54, cat. no. 73, repr.
- The Locus of Art: Aesthetics of Seiro Mayekawa from Dürer to Tsune Nakamura(exh. cat.). [Nagaoka], Niigata Prefectural Museum of Modern Art, 2011, cat. no. 6, col. repr.
- MONET, An Eye For Landscapes: Innovation in 19th Century French Landscape Paintings(exh. cat.). Tokyo, TBS, c2013, cat. no. 73, col. repr.
- The Matsukata Collection: Complete Catalogue of the European Art. Kawaguchi, Masako; Jingaoka, Megumi, eds. vol. 1: Paintings, Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 2018, cat. no. 778, col. repr.
- Monet Places(exh. cat.). Munich, Prestel, 2019, cat. no. 124, col. repr.