Updated 15 March 2023
展示中 Special Exhibition Wing
Special Exhibition Wing
Nude from the Behind
|Materials and Techniques||charcoal and pastel on paper|
|Size（cm）||75.9 x 50.0|
|Inscriptions||Signed lower right: MAURICE DENIS; upper left: MAVD.|
|Credit Line||Matsukata Collection|
Purchased from artist by Kojiro Matsukata, Kobe, ca. December 1921, as ‘Vingt dessins’ (Fr. 20,000 for 20 drawings) [see several letters among Léonce Bénédite, Galerie E. Druet and Suzuki & Co., December 1921, in Bibliothèque centrale des musées nationaux, Paris, copies in NMWA curatorial files]; sequestered by French government, 1944; vested in French government under San Francisco Peace Treaty, 1952; transferred from French to Japanese government, 23 January 1959; entered into NMWA, April 1959.
- Maurice Denis, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 1 September 1981 - 18 October 1981, cat. no. 136
- [Prints and Drawings Exhibition] The Drawings of Maurice Denis: Traces of Inspiration on Paper, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, Prints and Drawings Gallery, 15 October 2016 - 15 January 2017, cat. no. 6
- Catalogue du Musée National d'Art Occidental, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, 1961 (Préface and Catalogue Général in Japanese and French), P-123.
- The Old Matsukata Collection. Kobe City Museum, ed. Kobe, "Matsukata Korekushon Ten" Jikkoiinkai, 1990, cat. no. 573.
- Hakamata, Hiroyo. Catalogue of the Maurice Denis Drawings in the NMWA Collection. Journal of the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. No. 21, 2017, pp. 35-56, [with English Abstract], cat. no. 9.
- The Matsukata Collection: Complete Catalogue of the European Art. Kawaguchi, Masako; Jingaoka, Megumi, eds. vol. 2: Sculpture, Drawings, Prints and Decorative Arts and Other Works, Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 2019, cat. no. 1535, col. repr.