22 May 2013
The Defense (The Call to Arms) (Enlarged)
|Date||1879 (enlarged between 1906 to 18)|
|Size (cm)||216 x 124 x 85|
|Inscriptions||Signed right side of base: A. Rodin; Foundry mark back of base: ALEXIS RUDIER / FONDEUR. PARIS|
|Credit Line||Matsukata Collection|
Kojiro Matsukata; Sequestered by the French Government, 1944; Returned to Japan, 1959.
- The Masterpieces of the Ex-Matsukata Collection, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 14 May 1960 - 10 July 1960, S-13
- Rodin, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 23 July 1966 - 11 September 1966, cat. no. 10
- Traces of Hands: Sculpture and Drawings by Rodin and Bourdelle from the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 3 November 2012 - 27 January 2013, cat. no. 60
- Goldscheider, Cécile. Rodin, vie et œuvre, Tome I. Paris, Wildenstein Institute, 1989, pp. 132-135, no. 105.
- The Old Matsukata Collection. Kobe City Museum, ed. Kobe, "Matsukata Korekushon Ten" Jikkoiinkai, 1990, cat. no. S-27.