15 July 2016
Votive Altarpiece: the Trinity, the Virgin, St. John and Donors
|Materials/Techniques||tempera on panel|
|Size (cm)||127 x 75|
This altarpiece was originally dedicated to a church by a widower for the repose of the souls of his deseased wife and daughter. Their dead bodies are shown laid out at the foot of the cross. To the left, we can see the grieving widower with the Virgin Mary, and to the right is his weeping son comforted by St. John. The city of Florence appears in the background, and various scenes from the Bible are being played out in the middle ground. This work boldly displays the style of the Florentine School in the latter half of the fifteenth century. (Source: Gallery label, July 2016)
Von Miller, München; Otto Wertheimer, Paris; Purchased by the NMWA, 1973.
- European Landscape Painting, The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 14 September 1978 - 26 October 1978, cat. no. 3, repr.
- European Landscape Painting, Yamanashi Prefectural Museum of Art, Kofu, 3 November 1978 - 15 January 1979, cat. no. 3
- Florence and Venice: Italian Renaissance Paintings and Sculpture from the State Hermitage Museum, National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo, 20 March 1999 - 20 June 1999, cat. no. 9
- Heidenreich, Ludwig H. Ein In-Memoriam-Bild des Jacopo del Sellaio. Kunst und das Schöne Heim. 50. Jg., Heft 7, 1952, pp. 252, 253, col. repr.
- Gazette des Beaux-Arts, ser. 6, tome 83, Feb. 1974, "Chronique des Arts", p. 202, no. 694, repr.
- Les cent chefs-d'œuvre du Musée National d'Art Occidental. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, 1975 (Japanese), no. 3, repr.
- Bulletin Annuel du Musée National d’Art Occidental, No. 8 (1973), 1975, Nouvelles acquisitions, par Chisaburoh F. Yamada, pp. 4-5. Nouvelles acquisitions (catalogue). pp. 6-7. col. repr. p. 2.
- Masterpieces of the National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, 1978 (Japanese, preface in Japanese and English), no. 3, col. repr.
- The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo: Catalogue of paintings. Tokyo, The National Museum of Western Art, 1979, no. 257
- Masterpieces: The National Museum of Western Art, Tokyo. Tokyo, The Western Art Foundation, 2013 (Japanese, preface in Japanese and English), no. 11, col. repr.